Trampolining is a form of exercise through play. It is much fun, but just like any other form of exercise, accidents can happen. To reduce the risks of injuries, there are guidelines to observe. This article will outline some of the guidelines to keep you safe as you use your trampoline.
- Make sure that you have a trampoline net. They reduce the risks of injury by about 70%.
- Do not allow children under the age of six to use garden trampolines. They should only be allowed to use trampolines designed for their age.
- Only one person should use a trampoline as a go. More than 75% of accidents happen if multiple people bounce at the same time. When using the trampoline as a group, the light weight person is more likely to get injured.
- Do not allow somersaults as they increase risks of suffering neck and head injuries.
- Make sure that children are under supervision as they use the trampoline.
- Teach your children the basic safety rules when on trampolines. Such include, one person at a go, no somersaults, no crawling underneath, never jump off the trampoline and only bounce at the center.
Remove jewelry and shoes before climbing the trampoline.
- The trampoline must always be placed away from hazards like fences, washing lines and trees.
Garden trampolines should only be placed on soft bases. For example on grass, play mats, sand, and barks. They must never be placed on concrete bases.
- Before use, make sure that the legs are locked in a single place. Ensure that the jumping mat is not damaged or with holes.
- Only buy trampolines from reputable retailers, who will guide you on the most suitable depending on your needs, the size of your garden, age of your kids and budget. Read the trampoline manuals for more details on weight limits.
- Always make sure to use a safety net. Most trampoline sellers will sell you both the trampoline and the net. If otherwise, buy it separately.
- Trampoline frames come in different thicknesses. They vary depending on the model and make. It is, however, advisable to buy 14 gauge thickness which gives more stability and strength.
- There are trampolines available in the United Kingdom which have a Tri-Layer Socket. The socket improves the durability, strength, and safety of the trampoline.
If you observe the above safety and responsible guidelines, trampolines are not dangerous. They can, however, pause a great risk and danger. To ensure safety, always follow the safety guidelines and buy them from reputable retailers.